Monday, July 21, 2014

I love Napanee!

Dear Family and Friends, 

I hope that as I write this email I will be able to come up with a cool subject line....we'll see. 

Happy 24th of July this week! Canadians definitely don't celebrate that holiday, but I'll be thinking of all of you! 

This week was awesome. And hilarious. Seriously, it's been one of those weeks when Sister Puruganan and I just laugh and laugh. Last Monday we went fishing with one of our investigators. Let me tell you....I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I have a really great video, but it's too big to send, so you will just have to wait until I get home to show you. Sister Puruganan was catching fish after fish and I wasn't catching anything. Finally, Allen got me a barbie fishing pole, and I started catching these tiny fish. Haha, but it was definitely a great day. In fact, we are going fishing again today with some members and Allen. It's become my new hobby. So, Dad -  I'm going to want a fishing license when I get home. Deal?

James was so happy that we are both staying! We went to our appointment with him on Monday night, and he was on the phone with his member friends in Kingston and he said - "I get to keep my sisters for another six weeks." Ahh I love him! Sister Woolf was in Kingston, but they took the sisters out of that area - so now just our Zone Leaders are there. Speaking of James though, he came teaching with us for the first time this week! He loved it. I think he was a little nervous, but he bore his testimony and it was awesome. We were teaching Hope, which is someone that has been taught off and on for almost 8 months. Talk about eternigator. Sister Puruganan and I stopped teaching her at the end of May, but she texted us saying she wanted to meet. She set a baptismal date for the middle of August, but she didn't come to church, so we'll see. However, she does believe the Book of Mormon is true, which is a big step so we're excited!

The Leavens family....I shall update you on them. Sister Leavens is very sick. She's been battling cancer for almost 5 years, and things are just going down hill. In fact, last week she was admitted into the hospital for several days. We went to see her there on Tuesday, and she was in high spirits. She always has such an incredible attitude, it's refreshing. Brother Leavens is struggling with it though, you can tell he is so worried. They sent her home from the hospital on Wednesday, and on Thursday night we dropped by. We showed a Mormon Message to their family which really invited the Spirit in. It is going to be difficult for me to put into words the way the remainder of our visit went. It was one of those times that I will truly never forget. One of those times when I am just full of humility and gratitude to my Father in Heaven for allowing me to be serving here at this time. Sister Leavens is an incredible writer, and she pulled out some of her poems and read them to us. Some were religious, some funny, some educational. Tears were flowing from everyone's eyes. We were talking about what happens after we die and how they can be together forever. Sister Puruganan said the closing prayer in Tagalog, and although no one knew what she was saying, the Spirit was speaking to all of us. I wish I could express my feelings, haha and I can't. All I can say is I felt so much love for that family that it was overwhelming. I couldn't help but just weep as I hugged Sister Leavens after the prayer. I am so grateful I met this family. They have inspired me in sooo many ways. Brother Leavens even came to church alone yesterday. Miracles!!

So while we were at the hospital visiting Sister Leavens, she had one of her friends there, Marg. We offered service to Marg and she accepted. So we went to her home on Wednesday morning. She lives about 20 minutes north of Napanee in a shack! I'm serious, it was awesome. She has no electricity or running water. She has gardens, chickens, etc. Oh, and of course an outhouse. Priceless.

The Young Women wanted us to come to their activity this week to provide the spiritual thought. It was really fun, and a flashback to my time in Young Women's. Except there are only 2 Young Women here, and only 1 came. What can ya do? Anyways, they were having a spa night, so I got to get a facial, haha. Sister Puruganan got really sick that night with some sort of nasty migraine that lasted until Saturday morning. She still is having headaches....uh oh. I might be rubbing off on her! Thanks to you Jess, she has medicine that is helping! 

I'm not sure if there is too much else to update you on. On Saturday, we went tracting and were talking to a minister for about 30 minutes. I asked him to explain the Trinity to me, and he couldn't do it. It was kind of amusing, but also sad. It's unfortunate that basic doctrines that are so easy to understand get skewed and confusing. We should be so thankful for the truth that we have.

As I've been pondering and thinking about my time in Napanee, I am full of peace. It's been so challenging and so hard, but so stinking amazing! I love this area with all my heart, and I am excited that I am here for at least 5 more weeks. I hope everyone has an amazing week.  :)

I still haven't come up with a good subject.

Love, 

Sister Hardcastle

"Have Faith, Have Hope, Live Like His Son, Help Others On Their Way"

My Barbie Fishing Pole
Sun Fish....their fins are pokey!
Such a fun day!
Facials....
We ate a full rack of ribs....so proud!
HA HA HA

No comments:

Post a Comment